Health Insurance Options for Rural Carrier Associates (RCA)

There are some options for RCAs when it comes to health insurance with the USPS. Keep in mind, I do not know anything about the plans personally. I am just showing you the options you have and providing some links for you to find more information. You will have to do some research on what plan would work for you..   The end of Open Season is December 9th, so hurry if you plan to take part in any of these options.

Heath Insurance Options for RCAs

1 The NRLCA currently offers an RCA Benefit plan called TransChoice Advance.

You must be a member of the NRLCA to participate in this plan..

No choice of plan

USPS does not pay towards this plan.

RCA must pay full premiums.

Click here for more information

#2 – The NRLCA and the USPS signed an MOU on Friday, November 14, 2014 that gives many leave replacement carriers the opportunity to enroll in the USPS Non-Career Employee Health Benefits (NCEHB) Plan.  At that time it was only available to RCAs that worked more than 30 hours per week.  With the signing of the 2015-2018 NRLCA/USPS Contract, all RCAs are now eligible for this plan.

No choice of plan

USPS DOES pay some on this plan

Click here for more information

#3 An RCA that falls under certain criteria may also enroll in the FEHB. (Note: Employee pays full premium. USPS does not pay any of the costs. Noncareer employees (i.e., substitute rural carriers, rural carrier associates, postmaster leave replacements) who meet the following criteria:
Have completed 1 year of continuous employment, disregarding breaks in service of 5 days or less.
Have a predetermined tour of duty.
Have sufficient earnings to cover mandatory withholdings and premium deductions.

RCA pays full premiums.

No USPS contribution

Can choose any plan

Click here for more information

1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

The TransChoice Advance is not health insurance, it is a discount plan.